Penrose are a 5 piece band put together by Darragh Mc Grane and can now be described as a solid Indie Pop band with catchy uplifting indie songs and anthems that have “attitude” and stick in your head. Mixing the pop sensibilities & harmonies of The Beatles / ELO, the snarling vocals of Richard Ashcroft (The Verve) and the rhythmic acoustic guitars of Oasis, Penrose are a truly powerful force…live and on record. The band mixes their 60’s and 90’s influences bringing them together and putting a modern feel and attitude to the music they create.
* "A fuller picture of the band’s indie-rock sound, ‘Let’s Go Out’ is a lushly produced new track that sees Penrose adding a greater depth to their music than seen before. Anthemic and impactful, the five piece’s latest offering is a stellar one." The Last Mixed Tape
* "This band is one of Ireland's best kept secrets" - Spill Magazine
* Both Melody and Harmony singles picked as JOE.IE song of the day
* Invited by Alan Mc Gee(Creation Records) to play gigs as part of the Musicians Against Homlessness campaign in Wales and UK and have been asked to come back to Liverpool and Manchester this year to headline the shows .
* Supported Aslan at last years Made in Dublin Revisited in Vicar Street and invited back to support them again at this years gig.
* "Amazing puppet video for Penrose's 'Harmony' Irish five-piece Penrose demonstrate why they’ve been variously compared to The Beatles, ELO and Richard Ashcroft on ‘Harmony’, which is lifted from their debut Live For The Dream EP. There's also a big bang of Oasis off the track, which should be fast-rotated immediately by Ireland's radio station." Stuart Clarke, Hot Press
* "With an opening riff that evokes memories of The Clash's London Calling, the new single from Penrose is also blessed with a chorus so contagious it hurts." Mark Kavanagh, The Sun
Irish indie ensemble Penrose has its roots in a two person act originally started by musician Darragh McGrane in 2015. The line-up has gradually expanded to a five-piece ensemble in 2015 and their pedigree is quickly developing with the band supporting the likes of Aslan, Jack L, Damian Dempsey and Paddy Casey on the vibrant Irish live scene…each performance well lauded by those media present at the gigs.
Penrose can now be described as a solid Indie Pop band with catchy uplifting indie songs and anthems that have “attitude” and stick in your head. Mixing the pop sensibilities & harmonies of The Beatles / ELO, the snarling vocals of Richard Ashcroft (The Verve) and the rhythmic acoustic guitars of Aslan, Penrose are a truly powerful force…live and on record. The band mixes their 60’s and 90’s influences bringing them together in a modern perspective of the current music scene and culture.
The line-up sees Caolan Fitzsimons (lead guitar), Mark Bolger (bass), Benji Hayes (Keys), Donal Bowens(Drums) and Darragh McGrane (lead vocals and rhythm guitar). The band successfully unveiled their debut EP “Live for the Dream” which charted at NO.3 in the Irish charts to a sell-out house of fans & media at The Grand Social July 2015. The Band then released there critically acclaimed single MELODY which charted at No. 10 in the Irish charts and was picked up by all Irish national radio stations such as Today FM, FM 104 and RTE, with TV appearances to on RTE's TwoTube, the band then followed this up with yet another sellout show to their home fans in Dublin’s own Academy 2 venue. Having just released another single SIGN ON in MAY 16 with a string of summer dates in the UK and Ireland Penrose were invited back to the UK by Alan Mc Gee (Creation records) to play gigs as part of the Musicians against Homelessness campaign taking place across the UK. The lads were then asked to support one of their main influences and heroes Aslan as part of the Made in Dublin Revisited gigs that took place in Vicar Street last Dec. The band have just released their fourth single Let’s Go Out (June 17) to great response from Irish radio and Media. With festivals such as Sea Sessions, Indiependence and Electric Picnic all having the band on the bill this year and a 2nd EP due for late Autumn, 2017 looks to be a big exciting year for the band.
|5 Aug 2017||18:00||Indiependence Festival, Mitchelstown, Cork||Indiependence|
|23 Sep 2017||20:00||The Green Door Store, Brighton, UK||The Green Door|