Dublin, County Dublin
Sleep Thieves, are Sorcha Brennan (vocals, synths), Wayne Fahy (Vocals, synths, bass, programming), and Keith Byrne (synths, guitar, bass, programming). The Dublin-dwelling trio met through Twitter where they bonded over film soundtracks and vintage synths. This musical friendship was solidified in the recording of their self-released EP, Islands in 2012, which garnered accolades from the press. Their follow up full length album, You Want the Night, was released this summer ( via Minty Fresh Records US), who have previously launched The Cardigans and Veruca Salt to stardom. If Kate Bush had joined Enya and Bat for Lashes to pen a soundtrack for Jane Eyre this album could be it. Haunting, dreamy and cinematic, it opens up and rolls in like a storm over the moors, calling out to a forgotten love, enticing and caressing the listener.
You Want the Night:
Amoeba records top 50 albums of 2014:
No. 1 on The Last Mix Tape end of year list:
Top 25 in Nialler9's best Irish albums of 2014:
“Dublin-based trio Sleep Thieves make perfect music for a late night drive through quieting streets, past twinkling lights and the occasional wanderer–the sort of music that sits wonderfully alongside the work of groups like Glass Candy and Chromatics” – Pigeons and Planes
“City of Hearts is the very definition of noir-disco: dark, almost malevolent, with a cinematic tinge to it. Listening to it, you can just feel the night air whip past your face as you drive through the empty streets of a dark brooding city – the streetlights your only light, this track the only sound you can hear.” – The Line of Best Fit
“Dublin-based Sleep Thieves will definitely entice you to stay up late, whether to dance or drift off in a daydream, but you won’t hold that against them.” – The Guardian
“Dublin’s Sleep Thieves skate along feathery synths and breathy female vocals. Their new single City of Hearts kinda sounds like what might happen if Johnny Jewel was producing Phantogram.” – Under the Radar Magazine
- Performed two sets at Ireland's seminal Electric Picnic festival Tagged: “Top 5 acts we saw at Electric Picnic” by Joe.ie)
- Sleep Thieves headline a stage at the long running Cork Jazz Festival in October
- Selected for the FMC Tour 2014 with Fight Like Apes & Kid Karate - 6 gig showcase around Ireland, fully funded and promoted by Irish Arts Council music body FMC
- Played at Culture Collide festivals in San Francisco and LA in October - playing alongside Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Nina Persson (The Cardigans), Cloud Nothings.
- FMC tour 2014 alongside Fight Like Apes and Kid Karate, with thanks to FMC and Culture Ireland.
Radio: UK and Ireland:
· Radio play and support by many of the UK scene’s leading radio DJ’s such as Eddie Temple-Morris & John Kennedy of XFM, Nemone, Chris Hawkins, Tom Robinson, Radcliffe Maconie and Lauren Laverne’s show on BBC 6Music Simon Raymond, Frank Skinner.
· Amazing Radio – various shows
· Absolute Radio – various shows
· 2fm, 2xm, TXFM, Today FM, 98fm, Dublin City Radio, FM104, Galway BayFM, Red Fm
· Over 1.5 million plays on Spotify with over 300,000 plays a month and growing steadily. Including 100,000+ plays of City of Hearts since its release as a single this year.
Opened for: Austra (Canada), MS MR (US), Maximo Park (UK), Wild Nothing (US), Destroyer (Canada), St Etienne(UK), Spector(UK), Trust(US)