Tony Floyd Kenna
Killiney, County Dublin
'Songs From The Furnace Of Life'
Double album. Disc One comprises 10 new Solo tracks including co-writes with Valerie Bowe, Cornelia kindlinger & Davina Brady. Disc Two comprises 17 tracks, Covers of Tony's songs, several co-writes with and performed by Jed McConkey, collaborations and alternate versions. As well as Jed you will hear ED DK, Wanman Shau, Oragh, Ciaran Brennan, Greg Clifford, Nate Logston, Warren Newton, Rhiannah Warm, Chris Riley, James Lindsay, Ricky Leonard, Brian Aherne, Murray McDowell, Geoff Bennett...
September 14th. 2012.
'All The Colours' released!
Ten new solo tracks combined with seven of Tony's Wanman & Floyd cuts plus a few firm favourites from recent solo EPs. 'Heart In A Box', 'All The Colours', 'Mama Said' with Jed McConkey, duet on 'Hey, Hey, Hey' with Rhiannah Warm, 'Light & Shade', 'Be Alright' from the pen of Peter Fitzpatrick - lots of great new songs. Available in Tower Records and digitally from CD Baby and the usual music sites.
Work continues on new solo album 'All The Colours'. Light And Shade, All The Colours, Strings Of Steel, Heart In A Box, Be Alright, Mama Said, Unknown Country, Hey, Hey Hey,, We're Gonna Make It, Drink From Your Soul, complete.
Collaborations with Jed McConkey - Mama Said - and Geoff Bennett - Monkey On The TV - completed.
Working with a great young singer/songwriter - Ciaran Brennan, on his first studio recordings, with the help of a good bit of pre-production we completed seven tracks and eleven mixes in just one day! (See Ciaran here on Breaking Tunes). Also working on new solo album 'All The Colours'. First track is 'Light And Shade'.
I'm putting the Wanman & Floyd songs on the Wanman & Floyd Breaking Tunes page. I'll eep Solo and project stuff here. I'll need to set up a new page for Maggies Farm..soon.
Duets on 'Hey, Hey, Hey' completed with Sharine O'Neill of Austria and Rhiannah Warm of Northern Ireland. Work on next Wanman & Floyd Album 'Another Light In The Dark' has commenced. Geoff Bennett has covered 'My Woman blues'. Interviews on WDAR and South Dublin FM.
'Collaborations - Volume One' CD released....
COLLABORATIONS – TRACKS, DEMOS AND SONGS. APRIL 2012.
1. My Woman Blues (Kenna) - Trans Atlantic version. Joe and I had released this song on 'Light Side Of The Dark'. Ricky was listening to it one afternoon so I thought.... Ricky recorded the flute track, sent it over to me, and here we are! Quite a few people were surprised at how well the Native American Wood Flute worked on what is basically a blues track. But work it does, bringing a
whole new dimension to the soul of the song. Ricky Leonard - Flute, Joe Mc Guinness - Lead guitar & harmony vocals, Tony - Bass, vocals, guitars and Boss drums. Mixed & produced by Tony.
2. Hilde Myran Bought A Van (Kenna-Halsall-Myran-Ellis~Hall-Mulhere-Moore). - One Sunday afternoon the six of us had a fairly lengthy exchange on the MT Facebook group. The topic was 'writer's block'. Taking everyone’s lines, ideas and suggestions a song was born. It was recorded very quickly, first take vocal, quick video and up on the MT video site by the following afternoon. A collaboration of six people in four different countries! Performed and produced by Tony.
3. Hey, Hey, Hey. (Kenna) - This song was born following an exchange of messages between me and Swedish singer/songwriter Lovisa Stahl, whose debut album I had just reviewed in the MT magazine. I ran up a basic demo and passed it around wondering if anyone would like to have a go at the 'Girl' bit. Rhiannah said she'd like to try it. She recorded some great vocals which I popped in with my recording and a great duet was born. Rhiannah Warm - Vocals, Tony - Vocals and instruments. Mixed and produced by Tony.
4. Dust (Kenna-Lindsay) - I'd written this set of lyrics and having tried a few ideas with them I came to the conclusion that it would be a song for a younger man. Enter James, who I'd recently connected with via a local songwriter’s site. Sent James the lyrics and he turned them into a great track with a 'just right' feel. Performed and produced by James Lindsay.
5. Sister (Kenna-O'Grady) - John and I have written on and off since our school days, usually for our studio band Good Intentions. I passed this set of lyrics to John and he came back with a track that really captured the passion and the mood of the subject. The lyrics, the music, the singing, the playing, all worked together beautifully. Performed and produced by John O'Grady.
6. I'll See You On The Other Side (Kenna-Bennett-Leonard-Johns) - the four of us being active MT members often have long 'conversations', even though we're in three different countries. This song followed from one of those conversations, where it was decided that it was time for a musical collaboration. Lyrical and musical ideas were exchanged over a week until it was finally time to glue it all together. Great credit is due to all involved, who jumped in and recorded their parts on whatever hardware/software they had at home. There might be a few rough edges but I believe the song captures the spirit, passion and ethos of what MT is all about. Geoff Bennett - Vocals & Guitar, Julia Johns - Vocals, Ricky Leonard - Vocals, Tony - Vocals, Bass, Guitar & Boss Drums. Mixed and produced by Tony. Go to http://musicianstogether.com/ for tracks from all here.
January/February 2012 :
Rock on 2012! Tony & Joe will be promoting 'LIGHT SIDE OF THE DARK' and 'DARK SIDE OF THE NIGHT' (released February 25th.). They are also rehearsing the new material with Ian for some selected Electric and Acoustic appearances,
See http://breakingtunes.com/wanmanfloydlightsideofthedark .
When time allows Tony, Cormac O'Caoimh and James Lindsay will be revisiting their collaboration project started in 2011. Tony and Brendagh Mannagh McMeekin have written a new anthem for Belfast - Belfast City Of Life - and are hoping to get Brian Kennedy to pick it up!
'LIGHT SIDE OF THE DARK' by Wanman & Floyd.
Wanman - Joe McGuinness
Floyd - Tony Floyd Kenna
Joe and Tony have played and recorded together on and off for over 30 years, mainly in their band 'Maggies Farm'.
In January 2011 they released 'Alison' with Maggies Farm and Heather McLeod, charity CD for The Capuchin Day Centre For Homeless People. 'Blues Shoes' and 'Don't Follow Me' were included on the EP version.
In July 2011 Joe and Tony wrote and recorded 'Roadbike Julia' for the Musicians Together site and decided they may as well do a whole album. So meeting every Friday morning over a 7 or 8 week period the remaining 9 tracks were written and recorded.....
Although their hearts lie in Blues and Blues Rock you will find other genres creeping in here too.
CD release - November 18th. 2011.
July 2011 and more:
Tracks from Tony's self titled last release getting both radio and internet support. 'Sky' being a particular favourite. Some of these songs are also featuring well and receiving very positive feedback on the new Musicians Together video site. In between writing and recording Tony has found time to write CD reviews for the Musicians Together online magazine.
History & stuff. As well as his Solo and Wanman & Floyd work Tony Floyd Kenna is the Bass player and one of the songwriters in Maggies Farm and Good Intentions. Both bands got together again in 2010, after 25 years, for some writing/recording. The new single 'SACRED GROUND' by Good Intentions was released to critical acclaim on July 22nd. 2010. Their remastered 80s studio sessions were re-issued in December 2009. Maggies Farm released an EP at the end of Jan. 2011 featuring both new blues rock tracks and the charity song Alison. Another of Tony's new songs, Don't Follow Me, is included on this. Historically, Back in the late seventies thru’ to the late eighties Tony was busy as a band member with Maggies Farm, Face To Face, Good Intentions, The Gravediggers and lots more. In Face To Face Tony co-wrote with Jean O’Sullivan and their Remastered ‘Dreams’ ep was re-issued in October 2009. Behind the scenes Tony worked in sound engineering and served on the council of IASC (the Irish songwriters association of the time).
Tony has also released several solo CDs over the last few years, 'New Songs' May 2010, 'The Kiss Of Life' October 2010, 'Don't Worry 'bout Me' May 2011 and 'Tony Floyd kenna' July 2011..
Winter 2010/2011. Heather MacLeod interviewed Tony live on Dublin City FM103.2 on Friday December 17th. NEW TRAIN and THE SISTERS OF FATE were played. Tony, Heather and Maggies Farm went on to record 'ALISON' (a new song by Tony as mention above). This is the story of a homeless girl on the streets of Dublin, it was released in January to support The Capuchin Day Centre For Homeless People. Tony, Heather and Brother Kevin have been interviewed on Dublin City FM and Spirit Radio.
Tony's Reverbnation Store (Alison, Don't Follow Me and more)
(You can hear Good Intentions and Face To Face on Jango.com )(‘Carry Me Over’, ‘Dawning Of Each Day’ and ‘Dreams 12" Mix’ on groves4movies)